Free Consultations 970.616.6668


Fort Collins Child Custody Lawyer

What is an Allocation of Parental Responsibilities (“APR”)?

Statistics show that over half of the children born in the United States are born to unwed parents. When unwed parents separate, it is often in their child’s best interest to establish a child custody arrangement. In Colorado, a child custody arrangement for unwed parents is known as an Allocation of Parental Responsibilities (“APR”). By filing a Petition for Allocation of Parental Responsibility, a parent can establish Court Orders that dictate:

  • parental decision-making,
  • parenting time schedules,
  • child support,
  • and the division of expenses associated with the child.

This is where a Fort Collins child custody lawyer can help. Children are a precious gift and your child custody arrangement will greatly impact your relationship with your child. We understand the importance of reaching a resolution that is in the best interest of your child.

If you are involved in a child custody dispute, do not wait to speak with a Fort Collins child custody lawyer at Rachel A. Michael, LLC. We’re here to help you understand the process and to advocate for a resolution that’s in your child’s best interest.

How Does the Court Determine Child Custody in Colorado?

Pursuant to Colorado Revised Statutes 14-10-124, the Court will look at certain statutory factors in making a determination as to the appropriate child custody and parental responsibility arrangement, including parenting time and decision-making responsibility.

The Best Interest of the Child statutory factors are summarized below:

  • The child’s wishes, if they are mature enough to express reasoned and independent preferences,
  • The parents’ wishes,
  • The history of the family relationships,
  • The mental and physical health of parties,
  • The ability of a party to put the child’s needs ahead of their own,
  • encouragement of love and contact between the child and the other party,
  • Domestic violence (if any),
  • The Parties past involvement with the child
  • The Parties physical location of the parties

Our Fort Collins child custody attorney is here to help. Contact the family attorneys at Rachel A. Michael, LLC today!

Get Your Free Consultation

Call (970) 616-6668 or email us today to schedule a time to talk with our Fort Collins attorneys about your options.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.